Granite worktops are very popular for kitchen and bathroom countertops alike. They are up there with marble worktops and quartz countertops in popularity. If you are considering using the hard wearing natural stone for your bathroom or kitchen worktop then here are some fun facts about granite. Please revisit this page as it will be updated as we discover more facts for you to read.
6 Facts About Granite Formation
- Granite is completely natural and was made over billions of years ago from cooled molten magma.
- Granite is the main component that makes up the earth’s continental crust.
- Granite is an igneous rock with at least 20% quartz and up to 65% alkali feldspar.
- Granites can be predominantly white, pink, or grey in colour, depending on their mineralogy.
- Granite is one of the hardest substances in the world, second only to diamonds.
- The melting point of granite is 2210 degreed F 1210 Celsius.